Msgr. G. Johannes, the Bishop of Kurnool, invited the Salesians to start a mission for direct evangelization, youth apostolate and literacy programmes in Anantapur district. After a detailed study, the Provincial Council accepted the invitation. The diocese registered 8 acres of land in the name of the Hyderabad Don Bosco Society, at Raptadu village, about 9 kms from Anantapur, on the Bangalore high way.
The Salesian society on its part, agreed to undertake evangelical, pastoral and educational activities proper to the charism of the salesian society. This mission, consisting of nearly 90 villages is primarily for direct evangelization and for educational and developmental activities.
The Vice Provincial, Fr. Balaswamy, in the presence of several priests, religious and people, initiated the presence with a concelebrated Mass, on 11th June 1997. Fr. Abraham Mattathilani is the pioneer and first parish priest of this Don Bosco Mission. He started his work in the villages along with a full time catechist from a rented house. In 1998 a temporary form house was built in our own land. In the same year the MSMHC sisters came to help the mission establishing a convent in a 2 acre plot of land registered in their name adjacent to our mission compound. A permanent Salesian residence was built in 2007. The mission has now 25 villages with a total Catholic population of over 300 members.
- The primary aim of this mission is Direct evangelization of the region entrusted to the Salesian Province of Hyderabad.
- The Don Bosco Mission Parish will give an integral faith formation to the local People. They will also conduct developmental activities for them.
- The parish will give due importance to the education of the children, especially of the Parish.
- They will run a boarding house for the children of the mission in their premises and give them the best of facilities for their all round development and formation.
- They will foster vocations for the Salesian Congregation in particular.
- Neighbourhood apostolate for the youth and women of the villages of the parish.
- The Missionary Sisters of Mary Help of Christians will assist in the evangelization, pastoral, educational and developmental activities.
DON BOSCO MISSION
ANANTAPUR – 515 722
(08554) 28 67 01